Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

How soon after beginning bankruptcy can I sell my house and

How soon after beginning bankruptcy can I sell my house and keep the profits?

I'd like the answer for both chapter 7 and chapter 13, please.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 3 years ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

The chapter 7 bankruptcy estate and exemptions are determined as of the date of filing. Therefore technically you could sell your house the day after you file for chapter 7 and keep your homestead exemption. Most people find it preferable to avoid trustee questioning concerning the sale and therefore wait until after the 341 hearing. The 341 hearing takes place about 40 days after filing.

In a Chapter 13, the homestead may be sold at any time. Sale of the property requires court approval

Expert:  Ellen replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your business.

The site will be sending you a survey. The results of the survey are essential to my employment.

Question #3 of the survey will ask you: "How likely is it that you would recommend your Expert to a friend?"

I would greatly appreciate it if you would answer "10". If for any reason you cannot answer "10" in response to question number 3, please tell me how I may further assist you.

As always, I am here to address follow-up questions at no additional charge.