socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

How do you fight for more time when your in Chapter 11, cashing

Customer Question

How do you fight for more time when your in Chapter 11, cashing flowing positive, but can't get the secured creditor to refinance or extend loan out 5 years?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

You may not be able to file a second Chapter 11, because the note's maturity date was known in advance. If the plan was predicated on a reasonable probability that you could refinance the secured debt, then that could provide the necessary good faith to file a second Ch. 11. But, if it was unlikely that you could have refinanced the debt, then the original plan could be deemed a stall tactic and a subsequent Ch. 11 would simply prolong the inevitable foreclosure of the secured debt.

Since you have already apparently failed to negotiate with the secured creditor, and you cannot find a new lender willing to refinance the debt, this leaves the only other option as an attempted plan modification (other than to file/convert to Chapter 7, that is). A postconfirmation plan modification requires:

• the original plan is not “substantially consummated” (11 USC § 1127(b));
  • the modified plan complies with all of the mandatory plan requirements (11 USC § 1127(b));
  • circumstances “warrant such modification” (11 USC § 1127(b));
  • the modification proponent complies with plan disclosure requirements (11 USC § 1127(c));
  • claimants affected by the modification are given notice and an opportunity to change their votes (11 USC § 1127(d); FRBP 2002(a)(5) & (d)(7));
  • claimants are given notice of the confirmation hearing for the modified plan (11 USC § 1127(b); FRBP 2002(b)); and
  • the court confirms the modified plan after notice and a hearing (11 USC §§ 1127(b), 1129).

In other words, you're looking to try to put together a consensus vote among the other creditors that will force the secured creditor to submit to the plan, and where the secured creditor retains its lien on the property (collateral) and receives deferred payments until paid in full (11 USC § 1129(b)(2)(A)(i).

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("ToCustomer), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!