WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

Hi, I recently filed and had a discharge Chapter 7. I reaffirmed

Customer Question

Hi, I recently filed and had a discharge Chapter 7. I reaffirmed my main residence and all is fine. I also have a duplex which I did not reaffirm but I have been making a monthly payment on the last day of each month. mainly it's because my elderly mother lives there. My questions is - how many days past the last day of the month would be a concern for the lender to foreclose if i didn't pay? I mean what if I paid the October payment say for example Nov 10th. I guess I am curious how quick a lender would be to move on something like this, being that I did not reaffirm.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 1 year ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

WALLSTREETESQ :

This is a common situation, regardless whether you reaffirmed the mortgage or not, the lender would be able to start a foreclosure proceeding at anytime after you have missed a payment, however typically it would be three missed payments before legal action starts.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Also, in WI a foreclosure has to go through the Courts,

WALLSTREETESQ :

so your mother would not be in risk of losing her home for several months, as the foreclosure will take 6-12 months in Court.

Customer :

So even if not reaffirmed it would typically be 3 missed payments. How about if i made them but they were always a couple weeks late?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Lateness is not an issue,

WALLSTREETESQ :

they will charge late fees,

WALLSTREETESQ :

but not foreclose, as if they did sue you in court, you would just pay the late fees,

WALLSTREETESQ :

three missed payments is typical then they file a lawsuit,

WALLSTREETESQ :

if you file an answer to the lawsuit, the case will then take several months.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Also, you can file a chapter 13 100% plan, to stop any sale as well,

WALLSTREETESQ :

but you have to pay the monthly mortgage, and arrears over 60 months.

Customer :

Well my main question is and maybe you answered already. I am up to date and make a payment each month. I guess I just was curious if the payment had to be made within that month or if I made Nov payment in december, would that raise any flags? I guess after the chapter 7 discharge I am pretty much just paying as I go but am not liable?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Being late would not start a foreclosure,

WALLSTREETESQ :

if you missed several months, that would be an issue, and the lender would start foreclosure proceedings.

WALLSTREETESQ :

As long as payments are made even if late, you are fine.

Customer :

Being as I didn't reaffirm, I could then walk away and not face any lawsuit? If it ever did go to foreclosure.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Yes, if it was listed in your bankruptcy and you did not reaffirm it, then if it forecloses, you would not have to pay them anything.

Customer :

Ok last one - this one is more of an ethical question I guess. Could I collect rent if I decided to stop paying and continue to colect rent until foreclosure? Or is that not legal?

WALLSTREETESQ :

As long as you are the deed owner, it is allowed,

WALLSTREETESQ :

after the foreclosure, the new owner would be the bank, and they would then be entitled to the rent.

Customer :

Just say I stopped paying now, how long is it typically from start to finish - when house is taken away/ Months, year?

WALLSTREETESQ :

I would expect 6-9 months at best, as they will wait 3 months to start a suit, and Court may take 3-6 months to finalize.

Customer :

Ok thanks and a foreclosure would not affect my credit since I am legally not liable?

WALLSTREETESQ :

yes, as the mortgage is discharged against you.

Customer :

So no to hurting credit?

WALLSTREETESQ :

yes,

WALLSTREETESQ :

it will not hurt your credit.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If the deed is still in your name and you did not surrender the property to the lender, they will have to go through the foreclosure process,

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you surrendered the property, the foreclosure may take less time, but still 3-6 months at the earliest.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback so we can receive credit.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.