Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

when determining the amount to use to see if you qualify for

when determining the amount to use to see if you qualify for a chapter 7 bankruptcy. Do you use the amount from line 1 off your W-2 (wages,tips, other compensation) not the social security amount?

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

In completing the bankruptcy forms, you use the full gross amount, before any deductions, and then in the petition subtract all the deductions,

after all the deductions are taken out that is the income used for the means test.

You can look at the Sch I form above from the bankruptcy Court, and that is what is used to determine your actual income, all deductions are taken into consideration.