How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WALLSTREETESQ Your Own Question
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 17223
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
WALLSTREETESQ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

when determining the amount to use to see if you qualify for

This answer was rated:

when determining the amount to use to see if you qualify for a chapter 7 bankruptcy. Do you use the amount from line 1 off your W-2 (wages,tips, other compensation) not the social security amount?


Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on


In completing the bankruptcy forms, you use the full gross amount, before any deductions, and then in the petition subtract all the deductions,


after all the deductions are taken out that is the income used for the means test.


You can look at the Sch I form above from the bankruptcy Court, and that is what is used to determine your actual income, all deductions are taken into consideration.

WALLSTREETESQ and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions