Paul K, Esq.
Paul K, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  10 years Exp., Great customer service, Prompt responses.

I have a single member LLC. There is a judgement against the

I have a single member LLC. There is a judgement against the LLC that can't be paid. I attended a Citation hearing to discover assets in late September and today (Nov 12), just received a copy of a letter via my attorney (dated Oct 9), that opposing counsel requested additional documentation on that date.

My LLC has been in and out of a relatively minor delinquency status with the attorney during this time, including being currently delinquent for $2-3K but was current for the latter portion of October. With that said, is it any type of ethics or other violation to have withheld this vital information from me which, in my lay opinion, technically could be viewed as a contempt status although no deadline for production of the information was stated?

Paul K, Esq. : Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would love to assist you. Give me a moment to research your issue and I will answer promptly.
Paul K, Esq. : It is very likely that it was an error or problem on the attorney's part.
Paul K, Esq. : Many document requests have strict deadlines
Paul K, Esq. : So if something was missed, that can be a problem.
Paul K, Esq. : If it caused damage, those damages could be recoverable, but would most likely offset any amount in attorney fees you owe.
Paul K, Esq. : If you were really mad at the attorney for this, you could always make a complaint to the Illinois Bar.
Paul K, Esq. : Sorry for the stress this has probably caused.
Paul K, Esq. : If you have further questions, please let me know.

Actually, my attorney sent me an email today stating that until any legal fees that are past due have been cleaned up, he will put a hold on representing me in this matte.

Paul K, Esq. : This was probably due to his error.
Paul K, Esq. : No all this being said, usually either he or you could contact opposing counsel, explain the situation and get a 30 day extension on the date the docs are due,

I'm more concerned as to the possible contempt issue that could arise from not submitting the additional requested information. Would a bankruptcy filing put an immediate halt to this process via automatic stay?

Paul K, Esq. : YEs
Paul K, Esq. : But, also, if you explain the situation, no court would hold you in contempt'
Paul K, Esq. : they would be more mad at your attorney than you

I think your suggestion of me contacting opposing counsel to explain the situation may be an excellent one.

Paul K, Esq. : Bankruptcy would stop it all though
Paul K, Esq. : Just be sure to let him know that your attorney is no longer representing you, or whatever
Paul K, Esq. : Well if you have other questions, please let me know.
Paul K, Esq. : Have a good day and good luck!!!!
Paul K, Esq. : Be sure to provide a positive rating so we get credit for our session and have a great week.

Thanks for your assistance.

Paul K, Esq. : No problem.