cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

I am going through a divorce my husband filed chapter 7 and

I am going through a divorce my husband filed chapter 7 and was discharged now I'm left with 40,000 in credit card debt the mortgage which I stopped paying moved out we are upside down owe 409000 only worth 350000 . Plus 190,000 dollars from my student loans both Private and stafford I'm foreclosing but want to protect myself . I pay rent now but wanted to know if I would qualify for chapter 7 or 13 I make 140,000
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X a Bankruptcy attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

1) How many are in your household?

cfortunato :

2) Do you provide support for anyone who is not in your household?

Customer: I have one son who I pay mostly everything for . I live with my brother and my parents who are in the ion law apt I am providing money for them because the are financially struggling
cfortunato :

Thank you for your response.

cfortunato :

Given the information you provided, you would not qualify for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy (unless you provide more than $7,000 per month to support your parents), but you would be able to file a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy.

cfortunato :

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

cfortunato :

Thank you!

Customer: If I filed chapter 13 would that help with my student private loans?
cfortunato :

No - there is no type of Bankruptcy that can discharge student loans, or help with student loans, if the filer is able to work. (Student loans can be discharged if, and only if, the filer is permanently disabled.)

cfortunato :

In other words, in the majority of cases, student loans are unaffected by Bankruptcy filings.

cfortunato :

Unfortunately.

Customer: No that's ok wasn't sure . I gues I'm tryi g to avoid them coming after me in regards XXXXX XXXXX away from the house I just want to get on a better track. Not sure if I should negotiate my credit cards down or file chapter 13 . I guess I just didn't think it would come down to this. I have been left with all marital debt and feel overwhelmed.
cfortunato :

Trying to negotiate with your credit card companies before deciding whether or not to file a Bankruptcy would definitely be a good idea. However, you also have to take into account whether or not your soon-to-be ex-husband is going to continue to pay the mortgage, even though his liability to pay it was discharged in his Bankruptcy. If he is not going to continue to pay the mortgage (you didn't indicate whether he is still living in the home, or whether he wants to continue to pay the mortgage so that the bank does not foreclose), then you may be able to short-sell the house or offer the mortgage the deed in lieu of foreclosure.

cfortunato :

If the mortgage is in default, and if you are not able to short sell the house, or give the deed in lieu of foreclosure, then you may have to file a Bankruptcy to discharge your liability for the balance of the mortgage, even if the credit card companies are willing to negotiate.

cfortunato :

There is certainly a lot to think about!

Customer: The mortgage is in default and no one is living there we are upside down about 60,000 or do dollars . I guess my main concern is the liability of the mortgage since he's discharged . I know in time I will pay off the credit cards and student loans but don't want the house too! I am embarrassed that I even have to consider this route . So I guess I have no choice but to file bankruptcy .
cfortunato :

By being able to discharge the balance of the mortgage and credit cards, there will be more money available to pay the student loans.

cfortunato :

cfortunato :

Thank you!

cfortunato :

Please have a pleasant evening!

cfortunato :

And please don't forget to provide a positive rating for my help.

cfortunato, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.