A.J.
A.J., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
14926557

Is it better, cheaper, easier to file bankruptcy in Alabama

Is it better, cheaper, easier to file bankruptcy in Alabama or Arizona? Does it make a difference?

SavyLawyer :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer.

SavyLawyer :

It may make a difference, depending on what type of property the bankruptcy debtor owns, and the property exemptions recognized in each state.

SavyLawyer :

Although bankruptcy is generally governed by federal law, property exemptions are generally governed by state law.

Customer:

Debtor has assests except 60 acres of farm land in IL which is in a trust which states is can only be sold to a sibling.

Customer:

Debtor has NO assets.

SavyLawyer :

In that case, it may not make too much of a difference, just based on a cursory review of each state's bankruptcy exemptions, particularly where the property in question is not the debtor's homestead (primary place of residence).

SavyLawyer :

Prior to filing, it would be prudent to review everything the debtor has with a bankruptcy attorney (you would be surprised what can be considered an asset that would go in to the bankruptcy estate for distribution by the bankruptcy trustee) in the state in which the bankruptcy will be sought.

SavyLawyer :

In Alabama, the state bar association has a referral service at:

SavyLawyer :

http://www.alabar.org/lrs/

SavyLawyer :

The state bar association in Arizona does not currently operate a referral service, but they do provide information on how to find an attorney in Arizona at:

SavyLawyer :

http://www.azbar.org/workingwithlawyers/topics/howtofindandhirealawyer

SavyLawyer :

One thing to keep in mind is that the general rule is that in order to file for bankruptcy in a state, the debtor must have spent a significant majority of their time in that state (such as residing in the state) for at least the 180 days prior to filing.

Customer:

OK. Thanks.

SavyLawyer :

You are welcome. Let me know if you require any additional information. Otherwise, please remember to RATE my answer so that I can receive credit for my work.

Customer:

Sounds good. Will do.

SavyLawyer :

I wish you the best of luck, and please do remember to RATE my answer, otherwise, I do not receive credit for my work.