Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

Filed chapter 7 in 2004, recieved discharge, bank that had

Customer Question

Filed chapter 7 in 2004, recieved discharge, bank that had judgement against me was inclued in discharge. On 2 occasions they have placed lien on my home I was selling. Was able to get title company to remove lien after providing proof of discharge. Have new home and am concerned this will happen again. What is best recourse and should I file suit. Know that it is illegal for them to attempt to collect a discharged debt and place lien on my property. Ft Worth Texas.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is FiveStarLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

You are correct that it is not legal to attempt to collect a debt that has been discharged in bankruptcy. Consider sending the bank a certified letter return receipt requested stating that they have twice placed a lien on your property for a debt that has been discharged. In the letter you may state that if they attempt to collect the debt/lien your property again you will file suit for actual and punitive damages. Be certain to send a copy of the letter to the judgment holder
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
Quentin,

Why did you leave me a poor service rating? Such a rating directly affects my employment. As I previously stated, I am available to answer your questions if my answer is not clear