Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I have six credit cards with high balances; I have lost almost

I have six credit cards with high balances; I have lost almost all of my income; I am not able to pay the monthly interest or principal payments. I have contacted all six of the credit card banks asking for help with no results. What are my alternatives?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am a Florida lawyer and I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

You may want to consider a chapter 7 bankruptcy. I will explain.

As an individual, there are two types of bankruptcy available. A Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13. There are distinct differences in between a Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your unsecured debt such as credit cards, judgments and personal loans. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start. However, you may have to surrender assets, if any, that exceed your exemption.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a repayment plan for an individual. It may require that you repay some of your unsecured credit card debt over a 3 -5 year period. However, you may retain assets that exceed your exemption.

Here are the exemptions for Florida:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

bankruptcy is not an option.

These are the possible alternatives:
1. Negotiate a payment plan (this did not work out for you)
2. File the bankruptcy (not an option)
3. Allow the creditors to file suit and attempt to collect the debt

Please let me know if you would like additional information about any alternative