cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

i have a student loan its a genesis loan and i have a mega

i have a student loan its a genesis loan and i have a mega amount of medical bills from my heart attacks if i file bankruptcy can i get my credit back and how

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy and Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

If you file a Bankruptcy, you will be able to have your medical bills discharged, but whether or not you will be able to have the student loan discharged would depend on whether or not you are able to work, and if you will ever be able to work at some point in the future.

cfortunato :

If you are not able to work because of your heart attacks (or for any other reason), and the situation is unlikely to improve, you would be able to have the student loan discharged.

Customer:

im still working

cfortunato :

If you are able to work, you would not be able to have your student loan discharged, but you would be able to have your other debts discharged - such as the medical bills, and any credit card debt you may have.

cfortunato :

Hopefully, not having to pay the medical bills and/or the credit cards will make it easier for you to pay the student loan.

cfortunato :

Around one year after a Bankruptcy is filed, one's credit score can start to improve - if there is no further negative activity to report.

Customer:

i was under the impression the genesis you could file bankruptcy because when i applied for a student loan i did not qaulify for a government loan

cfortunato :

As of October 2005, all student loans are non-dischargeable in a Bankruptcy - whether the loan is a private loan or a government loan.

cfortunato :

Unfortunately.

Customer:

can you file on back taxes owed

cfortunato :

Is this for income tax owed?

cfortunato :

You can have back income taxes discharged if the taxes owed are for tax years more than 3 years ago.

cfortunato :

If the taxes owed are for the tax years 2008 or older, you can have them discharged if you file a Bankruptcy now.

cfortunato :

If you wait until April 15, 2013 to file a Bankruptcy, you can have income taxes discharged for the tax year 2009 or older.

cfortunato :

The 3 years are measured from the date the income tax return was supposed to be filed, and if the tax return was not filed, then the taxes cannot be discharged.

Customer:

okay thankz

cfortunato :

You're welcome!

cfortunato :

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

cfortunato :

Thank you!