Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

My wife and I both have credit card judgments on us. We have

My wife and I both have credit card judgments on us. We have no money or personal property. I have a checking account for my social security check to be deposited in. My wife and I are disabled. My question is can my checking account be tied up so I cant get my Social security check. At the end of each month my checking account is at about zero. I live in South Dakota.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

No – your Social Security may not be attached or garnished for credit card judgments. Social Security may only be attached for taxes and child support. Social Security deposited into a checking account retains its protected status