Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I am being sued by American Express Centurion Bank. I received

I am being sued by American Express Centurion Bank. I received a summons last night 11/1/2012 which was date stamped August 31, 2012. They say I have only 30 calendar days to file legal papers to settle my $18,397 debt.

The issuing Law offices are in Southern California, How do I know they are truly representing American Express and are not a third party taking the case? What should I do next?

I don't want to be put in a position where I could have bank accounts seized. I am already broke which is why I was unable to make the payments. Is filing for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy an option?

Thank you for your assistance.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

Chapter 7 bankruptcy would typically be an option if in fact you owe the money. A chapter 7 bankruptcy would typically discharge/erase the debt.

If you do not file a chapter 7 bankruptcy or respond timely, a default can be entered against you.

You will need to copy the caption from your complaint. Instead of "Complaint" put the word "Answer". You can then deny each and every allegation contained in the claim and demand strict proof