dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

I am nervous that my ex-husband is going to file for bankruptcy.

I am nervous that my ex-husband is going to file for bankruptcy. He was awarded our home in the divorce (2 years ago), and he stopped paying on the mortgage and HELOC 5 months ago (the house is on the market as a short-sale). My name is XXXXX XXXXX to these loans. What will happen to me (and my liability for this debt) if my ex declares bankruptcy? The divorce decree gives him both the asset of the house and the liability of the mortgage and HELOC.
Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions. Fortunately you live in Washington which has anti deficiency statutes which means that you will not be liable on the mortgage if the house is sold by short sale or is foreclosed. Likewise, if he files bankruptcy it will have no bearing on you.