dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

Finalized a chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2009 in AZ due to real

Finalized a chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2009 in AZ due to real estate drop. Had property in GA. Now a class action settlement has come up with a mortgage company that was listed as a creditor in the BK. If we choose to go into the settlement process, we could get about $1,000. Will we be at risk for the court re-opening our closed chapter 7 file and would we be obligated to pay those funds back to the court? Or is this such a small amount and the file is closed nothing will happen?
Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.

Such a small amount is way too small for the bankruptcy trustee to adminster as his costs will far exceed the $1000. So I assure you if that is what your settlement will be, you will NOT have to repay the those funds and nothing further will happen.

Please rate my answer ok or better. Otherwise, the site keeps your deposit and I am not paid.