A.J., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.

I am wanting to file bankruptcy in Arizona. I do have a judgement

I am wanting to file bankruptcy in Arizona. I do have a judgement against me from Discover credit card within the court system. I am self employed and broke for the first time in my life. Can I list this judgement in my bankruptcy?

SavyLawyer :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer.

SavyLawyer :

Not only can you list a judgment in a bankruptcy proceeding, you are generally required to list any outstanding judgments in addition to all of your other outstanding debt. Legal proceedings ongoing must be listed, and so must judgments that could be considered debt. Both must be listed in a bankruptcy proceeding (particularly a chapter 7 where you are seeking a discharge of debt).

thank you.

SavyLawyer :

A judgment debt is generally discharged along with other debt, with a few limited exceptions, including judgments for tax debt or other government debt.

SavyLawyer :

You are welcome. If you do not have any further questions, please remember to RATE my answer so that I can receive credit for my work.