Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney. I have experience in business law, real estate law, bankruptcy and estates.
63724254

We have a business that is Incorporated, not an LLC. We may

Customer Question

We have a business that is Incorporated, not an LLC. We may need to declare bankruptcy. If so, will our home be taken as part of this proceeding? We are a husband and wife owner (husband 51% and wife 49%).
Many thanks.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 4 years ago.

Attorney2020 :

Hello:

I will be assiting you today.

Is the business filing for bankruptcy or you filing for bankruptcy personally?

Maryland laws do not provide for a significant exemption amount for homes under Ch 7 BK. However, under Ch 13, you may retain your assets once you gather a payment plan with the trustee.

In orther words, the trustee might wish to sell off your home to gather up enough money in a Ch 7 bankrupcty. Under a Ch 13, you can retain your home while paying the debt in a repayment plan.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Information given is not legal advice. I am not your attorney. The information given is general only. I am not establishing or accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.