TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

What is the best way to find a bankruptcy attorney? We live

What is the best way to find a bankruptcy attorney? We live in Indianapolis, IN now. We moved here from Florida approximately 3 months ago. We have a LOT of old debt, and I have no idea how to even find out who all we owe. How would we list them as a creditor if we don't know who they are? Is there any way to find out who all is claiming we owe them money in order to include them in the bankruptcy? I know we can look at our credit report, but things like medical bills and such won't show up on there. I want to make sure if we're going to take such a drastic step as bankruptcy that we truly have a fresh start and do not leave anything out. I would hate to go through all of the steps and then find an old debt after the fact that was not included. Lots of questions!!!! Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Q: What is the best way to find a bankruptcy attorney?
A: The best way is to use the Indianapolis Bar Association's attorney referral service, which you can access HERE.

Q: How would we list them as a creditor if we don't know who they are?
A: You (or your attorney if you hire one) will look at your credit report to see all of your creditors. I always ask clients to give me a report from each of the 3 credit bureaus for exactly that reason.

Q: Is there any way to find out who all is claiming we owe them money in order to include them in the bankruptcy?
A: See above about credit reports

Q: I know we can look at our credit report, but things like medical bills and such won't show up on there.
A: Sometimes they do show up because those bills get sent to collection agencies. However, you should note that if your case is a no-asset Chapter 7 (meaning all of your assets are exempt, which will likely be the case), then you won't be harmed if you miss a creditor. So, if you forget to put a doctor's office on the schedules, the debt would still be discharged in a no-asset Chapter 7 because there would be nothing for the creditor anyway ... in other words, the creditor is not harmed by not being listed. If you're thinking about a Chapter 13, then you need to list all creditors because the listed creditors will get payments.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate me positively so that I receive credit for my efforts.

Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you!!!!

You're welcome. I truly wish you luck!