dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

I am currently filing for bankruptcy, and have just had my

I am currently filing for bankruptcy, and have just had my 341 meeting. When I filed my BK, I had recently moved back to Ohio and into my property there. It is possible now that I have a job offer in California (where I used to live, and the district in which I am filing the BK). I'm not sure if it is alright for me to move back to California to take the job if it is offered or not.

#1) If I move out of my residence in Ohio within a certain period of time, am I in danger of losing the homestead exemption on my property there?
#2) Even if I'm not in danger of losing the homestead exemption, is it safe for me to move before the BK is discharged, or would the Court view this as me trying to move to Ohio to keep my property under the homestead exemption and then moving out again to California, and therefore committing some form of Bankruptcy fraud?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  dylatess replied 4 years ago.
Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.

Question #1- If you filed in Ohio, and were living in the residence at the time of fliing, the exemption is protected as all that matters is where you were living when you filed. Therefore theres is no time limit before you can move

Question #2- It is not bankruptcy fraud if you were to move/relocate for the sake of employment.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne, your questions are well expressed and I appreciate your conerns. But I assure you that you will not jeopardize your case or homestead if you have had your hearing and move