dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

If you are in a chapter 13, and have been keeping up with payments

If you are in a chapter 13, and have been keeping up with payments as directed, would you be able to buy a car?
Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.
The short answer is YES. However, under the rules of the Chapter 13, before you can incur any debt for more than $500, you do need court permission and there is a process to follow. Specifically, you need to negotiate your best deal and then apply to the court to incur the debt and attach the contract to purchase. The request has to go through the chapter 13 trustee first and once he or she approves, they file it with the court. Note there is also a specific form which you can obtain from the clerk's office titled Motion to Incur New Debt.