Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

my girlfriend had put me on her credit card and she deceided

my girlfriend had put me on her credit card and she deceided to claim bankruptcy. so now her company came after me, and now my credit is effected.Is there anything I can do?

Terry L :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

If this was a joint card, both parties are legally responsible to pay this debt. Since she filed bankruptcy, that leaves you holding the bag and you will either need to negotiate a payment plan with them or file bankruptcy yourself.

If you did not sign on the original application, you should request them to send you those forms. If you were added on later, and are just an authorized user, then the debt was solely hers, and you shouldn't be liable to pay and should dispute it if so.

It really depends on if you were joint on the account or just an authorized user on the account. Check with the creditor, and then you'll know what your liability is. Request them to send you copies of the documents, don't just take their word for it on the phone.

Thanks for your question, good luck. Let me know if you have any others.

Terry

Customer:

I can`t find the answer?

Terry L. :

I will change this to Q&A and repost. sorry for the tech glitch.

Here is the repost for you.

Terry