FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

i have a mortgage in california, with my girlfriend, we split

Customer Question

i have a mortgage in california, with my girlfriend, we split up two years ago and she has recently filed bankruptcy. the loan is b of a, its cureent has never been late. the bank is still accepting payments, what can i expect to happen? the bankruptcy hearing was today. theres no equity in the home.. is there a danger of me losing the home because of this? what about my credit rating which is 784?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 2 years ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

My name is FiveStarLaw. I shall strive to provide you with legal information. My answers are information only and do not form an attorney/client relationship.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button. When we are done, please take a moment to click the rating tab to rate my work. My goal is EXCELLENT and I hope your rating reflects that.

Since there is no equity in the home, there does not appear to be a risk of you losing the house as a result of your former girlfriend's bankruptcy

Typically this type of situation would result in relieving your former girlfriend from liability under the loan but would not affect your ownership interest in the property.

After she has received a discharge from the bankruptcy court, you may want to ask your former girlfriend to quitclaim her interest in the property to you. This will enable you to own 100% of the property on which you are paying the loan

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question or whether you would like further information
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi my other question is that the bank , after i called them has said that i will need to have the loan re written after the bankruptcy of my ex girlfriend is discharged. is this a normal procedure and am i obliged to requalify, can they foreclose the property if i do not re qualify?

It is not normal procedure. Typically they cannot compel you to resign the loan as long as you are making payments timely
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i thought there wasnt a reason they could make me have to rewrite the loan when the loan has been going for 28 months and never a late payment.. thanks... i suppose i will check back with the bank after the bankruptcy is discharged and see if they are telling me the same b.s.

thanks

I do not see any benefit in contacting the lender
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

really ? ok well thanks for your professional opinion. it helps alot..

ok so in that case ill just continue to make payments due on time and i had planned to refi soon as the rates have changed since i bought the house but i planned on using a different lender. probably in about 60 days after all this is over.

thanks for the excellent service. worth the money spent..

It is my pleasure I wish you the best