How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 38552
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the last year of by repayments for my bankrupcy. Is

This answer was rated:

I am in the last year of by repayments for my bankrupcy. Is it possible that once the balance is down to $5000.00 I can pay that in one lump sum and be done with the monthly payments without reprocussions?

Yes, it's possible. You could pay the trustee the remaining balance and then ask the court to order the case discharged early. But, the trustee may start wondering where that money came from, and whether you have been "hiding the ball," if you catch my meaning. So, paying off the debt early could backfire, and if nothing else, may create additional questions and perhaps even court action to try to discover why you have all this additional disposable income.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay then, could I request to lower the monthly payments due to a change in income and the fact that we are experiencing a bigger hardship with the payment at the level it is now? Keeping in mind that I do not want to add additional payments and would like to have the bankrupcy over and done so that we may move on in our life?

You can file a motion to modify the plan, but you'll have to show that your income has decreased and that there is no reasonable likelihood of recovery during the remainder of the plan duration.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions