socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am currently enrolled with legal helpers debt resolution

Customer Question

I am currently enrolled with legal helpers debt resolution for the past 18 months and am not happy with their customer service. I would like to change to find a company that will help us, will this be more harm than good? expense wise?

in addition: the fees are charged monthly without any results.  Is this common?  It seems most of my monthly payments just go in their pockets instead of negotiating debt.  I should have a substantial balance over the past year and a half but it is less than 600.  I pay 685/month

Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.

This may not be what you want to read, but in my experience, there is practically no one who can do better with a debt settlement or credit counseling service than they can do with a Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy.

The problem is that the fees that the debt settlement firms charge are almost always equal to the interest that the original creditors were charging, and always more than the cost of a bankruptcy attorney and court costs. And, if you are in a position for a simply "no asset" Chapter 7, then you can wipe out all of your debts for about $500, because you can just buy a "do-it-yourself" bankruptcy book, and "do it yourself."

BotXXXXX XXXXXne, I urge you to visit a local consumer bankruptcy lawyer (most give free first consultations) and let him/her see your financial cards, before you make any other decisions. You may be surprised to find that your problems will be solved completely, and you won't have to do anything with any debt settlement service.

For a competent referral, in your jurisdiction, see this link.

Note: I'm off to dinner. If you have a follow-up question, I will catch up with you in a couple of hours.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what is a no asset chapter 7?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
expert unavailable apparently
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just saw your note now,

I wanted to know what a no asset chapter 7 is. ill wait for your response, thank you!

A no asset bankruptcy occurs where what the debtor owns, after subtracting any exempt property that the debtor is entitled to keep, as provided by the law of the state jurisdiction, is less than or equal to zero.

Since there is nothing that anyone can recover in bankruptcy, there is very little oversight exercised by the bankruptcy court and so the debtor sails through the process and all of his or her debts are discharged, leaving the debtor with his/her exempt property and no debt.

Also, Legal Helpers has apparently been sued by the Illinois Attorney General. The business is closing its doors. See this link.

Hope this helps.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello again! do you have knowledge of any class suit in wisconsin involving legal helpers? Its seems all I've been paying for are fees.

The website requires that new questions must be opened in a new Q&A session. However, if you would please provide me with a positive rating, I will be happy to consider your new question here.

Thanks in advance.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i rated you:)

I don't see anything on this issue for Wisconsin. However, I suggest that you contact the Wisconsin Department of Justice and lodge a complaint -- the DOJ may have an investigation under way, based on the Illinois Attorney General actions. Click here to file a complaint.

Best wishes.