HCLegal
HCLegal, Attorney
Experience:  I have filed over a thousand bankruptcy cases.
64148031

i have a loan on a boat with a current bal. of $130,000. The

i have a loan on a boat with a current bal. of $130,000. The resale value of the boat is approxly. $70,000. - 60,000. Other than the credit score impact ,what could be other financial impacts i.e. liens on mortgage or laws suits? I live in the state of Florida. Currently my credit score is in the mid 700's.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  HCLegal replied 2 years ago.

HCLegal :

Hello and thank you for your question today.

HCLegal :

I assume you are asking what could happen if you stopped paying the loan.

HCLegal :

They will repo the boat and then sell it at either an auction or private sale.

HCLegal :

Whatever money they get for the boat will be applied to the balance owed and you will still owe the remaining balance.

HCLegal :

If you do not pay the remaining balance then it will go into collections

HCLegal :

They could sue you for the remaining balance and that is probably what I expect to happen since this is a really large amount.

HCLegal :

If they get a judgment against you.

HCLegal :

With a judgment there are more things that the creditor can do to collect the money from you.

HCLegal :

As far as your house is concerned. that is protected by the homestead laws.

HCLegal :

Florida's homestead exemption providing an exemption from forced sale before and at death are among the most protective in the US as it provides "no limit" to the value of certain real property that can be protected from creditors. The property tax exemption clause of Article VI renders property tax-free to the extent of certain dollar amounts in the value of the homestead.

HCLegal :

With a judgment they can garnish your bank account and in some situations they can garnish parts of your wages.

HCLegal :

lorida’s Wage Exemption Statute provides relatively generous protection for those who meet the definition of “head of family” and are facing a judicial garnishment or filing for bankruptcy. To paraphrase the Statute, a head of family who pays for more than 50% of a dependent’s living expenses can not be garnished if their net income after deductions is less than $750 per week. If the head of family earns more than $750 per week after deductions, then they can only be garnished on the amount that exceeds $750 if they signed a written waiver allowing a creditor to seize income.

HCLegal :

Of course it will impact your credit and if they do get a judgment against you then that will go on your credit as well as a public record.

HCLegal :

I think this is the information you wanted, if not please let me know and I will do my best to explain or clarify my answers.

HCLegal :

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to RATE MY ANSWER, this is the only way that I will get credit for assisting you– I receive no credit for helping you unless you actually RATE MY ANSWER with 3 stars or smiley faces or more, even if you already have a subscription. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after rating my answer, if we continue the conversation.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus or an “add on” (available after you rate my answer) is truly appreciated.

If you would like to ask me a question in the future you can put “For HCLegal” at the beginning of your question and I will be alerted and will answer your question the next time I am online.

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-HESTONCIMENTpllc/

Customer:

I guess that pretty much answers my questions. I dont think i need to file bankruptcy as I can pay all of my other bills but that may be the better option?

HCLegal :

I would wait and see what happens. Its possible that they will never sue you. If they don't sue you then there is no need to file bankruptcy.

HCLegal :

Also, they may be willing to settle for a very low amount that you can afford.

Customer:

Thanks for your help

HCLegal :

You are welcome!

HCLegal :

Please take a moment to rate my service to you today!

HCLegal :

5 stars or smiley faces is my goal! Thanks again.

HCLegal, Attorney
Experience: I have filed over a thousand bankruptcy cases.