HCLegal
HCLegal, Attorney
Experience:  I have filed over a thousand bankruptcy cases.
64148031

Good Morning, I own five stores in the state of ma. I live

Good Morning, I own five stores in the state of ma. I live in CT. where must i file Chapter 11 and can i file PRO SE. Also can i state by filing a shell bankrupcty.

HCLegal :

Hello and thank you for your question today.

HCLegal :

You would have to file in CT if that is where you live.

HCLegal :

You have to file in the jurisdiction that you have lived in for the greater part of the last 180 days.

HCLegal :

You can file Pro Se but filing a chapter 11 is very difficult and if you do not do it correctly the case will be dismissed very quickly.

HCLegal :

Most companies are going to hire an attorney for a chapter 11.

HCLegal :

I am not sure what you mean by....

HCLegal :

Also can i state by filing a shell bankrupcty.

HCLegal :

can you please explain?

Customer: The business is very slow. I can't afford the rents anymore.
Customer: I am tring to payback all vendors at this point I will relocate all the stores what I am tring to do is buy four to five months with out paying rent by filing a chapter 11 to stop the landlord from filing a eviction .
HCLegal :

Oh, you meant can you stall by filing a bankruptcy. Yes you can, but you will only get 15-30 days by filing a shell bankruptcy.

HCLegal :

You can file an emergency petition which is just the first few pages without any of the schedules.

HCLegal :

This will give you the protection of the bankruptcy but then you only have a very short period of time, 15 days, to file the rest of the papers. If you do not file them then the court can dismiss the case.

HCLegal :

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification on any part of my answers.

Customer: