socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

Can a married couple living overseas with one of the parties

Can a married couple living overseas with one of the parties being in the military file bankruptcy in their state of permanent residence and proceed using interrogatories instead of showing personally at the 341 and any other hearings?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.
There is case law holding that a debtor in military service may appear at a meeting of creditors by telephone, provided that the debtor obtains permission from the court in advance, via a noticed motion. See e.g., In re Martin, 12 B.R. 319 (SD AL Bankr. 6/23/1981).

So ,the answer here is "yes," to a telephone hearing, but as for written interrogatories, that would also need court permission, and I suspect it may be denied, because creditors would be unable to examine the debtor, based upon what the debtor discloses at the 341 hearing.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!