cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

Unfortunately for my life, I have a no brainer bankruptcy (I

Customer Question

Unfortunately for my life, I have a no brainer bankruptcy (I owe over $70,000 and my net assets are about $9,000 in my last retirement account). I do evaluations for the NYC dept of education for children in need of small and bilingual classes, and since the city has been wiping these out over time, my income has plummeted since Sept 11. I also had great expenses because of my adopted son's many arrests and got badly hurt in the market crash of 2008. My brilliant accountant of many years is in his 70s, and he was an auditor for the IRS for 20 years and tells me this is a no-brainer. But my current finances are truly awful. There is an online site, BK USA which promises successful bankruptcy for $297. I paid it a year ago but decided not to do it. If I want to use them now, it is only $59. A bankruptcy attorney in NYC offered to do it for $600 (plus the $400 filing fees) which seems very reasonable and I would love to work with a real person, but I am
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X a Bankruptcy attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

Since you do not own any non-exempt assets, your Bankruptcy case will not be complicated.

cfortunato :

BK USA is a Bankruptcy preparer.

cfortunato :

Bankruptcy attorneys fill out and file the Bankruptcy papers, and come with you to the 341 Trustee Meeting.

cfortunato :

Bankruptcy preparers fill out the papers, and then you have to file them yourself, and you have to go to the Trustee Meeting by yourself.

cfortunato :

In my opinion, to save $541, it does make sense to file the papers yourself and to go by yourself to the Trustee Meeting.

cfortunato :

(At the Trustee Meeting, the Bankruptcy trustee will go over your Bankruptcy papers with you to make sure everything that was filled out is correct.)

cfortunato :

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know. Thank you.

Customer:

glad you opened a chat

Customer:

excellent answer

Customer:

all the additional information you put in is greatly appreciated

Customer:

and you effectively used facts about the procedure, also appreciated

Customer:

I just listed you in my favorite places, like I have Dr Loretta and Dogdoc4u, two outstanding veterians

cfortunato :

i assumed you would want to know what to expect at the Trustee Meeting, so that you would see that it is something you can handle yourself, and do not need an attorney for.

Customer:

Your excellent answer came at the right time, as I will soon be hit with a $10,000 lawsuit from my former awful landlady

cfortunato :

In fact, attorneys are not allowed to say anything at the Trustee Meeting, and their presence is really a waste of time.

Customer:

Your assumption was totally correct. I always greatly appreciate it when an expert brings in something very important that I would not have thought to ask about

Customer:

So I have you listed. Are you as strong on real estate law as you are with bankruptcy?

cfortunato :

Just make sure you include the landlady as a creditor in your Bankruptcy papers.

cfortunato :

I am more proficient with Bankruptcy Law.

cfortunato :

But have also have experience with Landlord/Tenant Law.

Customer:

Great. Can I list her even though the trial has not happened and the figure she is suing for is obviously exaggerated?

cfortunato, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.