A.J.
A.J., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.

My husband filed for bankrupcy about a year ago, and his laywer

Customer Question

My husband filed for bankrupcy about a year ago, and his laywer at that time that he will pay only 20% of what he owes ( which is about 100K).. after a lot of hastle and paperwork filled, because our combined income ( ofcourse on paper and before taxes) was around 130K, he eneded up with paying about 110% of what he owes..and it was a nigtmare for me at least becuuse when he had all his financial problems piling up and lost his house for forclosure we were not married yet.. we were married probably 3 months before he filed for bankrupcy, and i got affected indirectly .. his lawyer wanted all my bank statements and what i spend money on gas and my family back home etc.. However a cuple months after the filing, my husband left his main job that was generating most of the income and was working his parttime job,, and oulled his retirement so he can use it for living.. He paid taxes about 12000 from the 33000 that he pulled,, and he didnot go to his bankrupcy lawyer to refile with his new half income,,becuase he was afraid that they will take the amount he is left with from his retirement.. now i dont know if that is true or not?? and second, now he is going to lose his parttime job becuase the clinic where he works will close,,, and he is still paying the full amount for bankrupcy while making half the salary he used to.. I dont know what to do in this case ,,should we go back to his lawyer and refile with his new financial situation? what is the best advise.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  A.J. replied 1 year ago.

SavyLawyer :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer.

SavyLawyer :

First and foremost, it is important to remember that, if the original bankruptcy filed was a chapter 13, often that bankruptcy can be switched to a chapter 7 where financial circumstances have changed significantly and enough time has passed. That would be something that the bankruptcy attorney should be able to help with, it is not too complicated a procedure, again so long as financial circumstances have changed significantly enough for the family (generally this means that family income has dropped below the median income for the family size) and enough time has passed since the change (generally 180 days).

SavyLawyer :

This is called "converting" a chapter 13 to a chapter 7, and the bankruptcy attorney should know the procedure and filings necessary.

SavyLawyer :

Second, even if the family income is still too much for conversion to a chapter 7, a chapter 13 plan can be altered where there is a drastic change in circumstances. This again is something that the bankruptcy attorney should be able to help with.

SavyLawyer :

So, in short, yes, where there has been a drastic change in family income, it is completely appropriate to go back to the court to either convert the chapter 13 to a chapter 7, or to reset the chapter 13 plan to reflect the current family income. While I would not use the term "re-file", that is in essence what you would be doing in either case, either converting to a chapter 7 or resetting the chapter 13 re-payment plan to reflect the income of the debtor.

SavyLawyer :

I hope this helps, and let me know if you require any further information. Otherwise, please remember to RATE my answer AT LEAST 3 out of 5 so that I can receive credit for my work.