A.J.
A.J., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
14926557

Filed for bankruptcy, and a judged accepted it. He even wiped

Filed for bankruptcy, and a judged accepted it. He even wiped away my student loans, but I still keep getting bills to pay my student loans. Why? Do I still need to pay it?

SavyLawyer :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer.

SavyLawyer :

When you say a "judge accepted it", do you mean that you received a discharge order from a bankruptcy judge, and the student loans were included in the discharge?

Customer:

Yes

SavyLawyer :

Were the student loan debt holders listed in the bankruptcy petition (meaning they had notice of the bankruptcy)? If that is the case, then the debts should not be collectable and the collector should have gotten a notice of the discharge, as they were discharged and should not be collectable. Often, just sending a copy of the discharge order with a note explaining this to the creditor is sufficient. Otherwise, if you filed for bankruptcy with an attorney, the attorney can send notice to the creditor that the debt is not collectable as it was discharged in bankruptcy.

Customer:

ok cool. thank you. I

Customer:

i'll contact my attorney to see if they were listed. if they weren't listed, am i in trouble?