socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

What is the difference between a land trust and a revocable

What is the difference between a land trust and a revocable living grantor trust? I reside in Tennessee.
A land trust is a "self-settled" trust in which the owner of real estate/property is also the beneficiary of the trust, but not the trustee. The purpose of the trust is to create an "envelope" around the ownership of the property, so as to obscure the true owner's identity in the public record.

A revocable living grantor trust (aka, revocable trust; living trust) is a self-settled trust in which the grantor and trustee are the same, but the beneficiaries are different (usually the grantor's children). The purpose of the trust is to make it possible to transfer trust property to the beneficiaries at the grantor's death without having to use the probate court to authorize the transfer. At th grantor's death, a successor trustee automatically assumes power and distributes the trust property to the beneficiaries.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!