cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

in declaring bankruptcy, once assessts are sold off (a house

in declaring bankruptcy, once assessts are sold off (a house just sold and an rv taken out of her name as well as a timeshare ) is it correct that you need to wait two years because the gov can go back for two years and see that you sold those "assests"
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy attorney here to assist you.

That is correct that the "look-back" period for the transfer or sale of property is 2 years before a Bankruptcy is filed. This is pursuant to Bankruptcy Stat. 548.

The Bankruptcy trustee can go back only 2 years before a Bankruptcy to affect any transfer(s) of property.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
in waiting those 2 years, i am paying the min amount on each card but don't know how long i can keep that up. when it becomes inevitable that i have to file, when is it "safe" to just stop paying on the cards? and can you file on your own or is it better to pay the $2000 for an attorney?

Thank you for accepting my answer!

1) It usually takes credit card companies at least 6 months before commencing legal action against debtors who have stopped paying. Once legal action is commenced, it can take another few months before the creditor can get a judgment. So, it is usually safe to stop paying one's credit cards around 6-8 months before filing a Bankruptcy.

2) Instead of paying an attorney up to $2,000 to fill out and file the Bankruptcy papers, you can pay a Bankruptcy preparer $200 to fill out the papers, and then you can file them on your own.

Here is a website to find a Bankruptcy preparer:

http://www.usabkassociates.com/usabk/index.asp.