Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

can I charge and change the cost of preparing for bankruptcy

can I charge and change the cost of preparing for bankruptcy to include the cost of gas and toll on my car and life for preparing for bk since i'm pro se? If i would have had an attorney I would have had to put at least $1,000.00. and I drove to the library too many times etc. and this website cost? or other costs from websites?

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

Are you asking if you can list these research expenses on the budget?

Terry L. :

Are you asking if you can accumulate debt prior to filing? The answer is usually no, as the creditors can object to recent usage right before a case.

Terry L. :

the answer would be no, as your schedule J budget is for expenses you have moving forward from the date of filing forward.

Terry L. :

I believe these may be the questions you are asking. If I am incorrect, let me know, rephrase your question, or be more specific as to where you are putting this information.

Terry L. :

Thanks in advance, I'm hear to help and can answer any other questions you may have.

Terry L. :

Terry

Customer:

nope way off, sorry. my mind is racing.

Customer:

the statement of financial affairs talks about the cost of filing bk, debt counseling, etc. I was wondering if i could put my research/education costs being that I am a maid, and not a bk attny.

Customer:

i'm trying to see if i can charge and put that amount since this has consumed every waking minute and prohibited any sleeping minutes

Terry L. :

You would list actual attorneys fees here, and the cost of credit counseling, and any expenses you paid for debt consolidation. General research costs and time would not go here. There isn't any special credit you would get by listing anything here. The court just wants to know what you are paying for bankruptcy services.

Terry L. :

I would list the credit counseling fee, and that is it.

Customer:

thanks