Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I have filed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy around March 26 and it has

I have filed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy around March 26 and it has not yet been discharged. However, I surrendered my home and am now trying to find a place to live in NC ( I currently live in FL where the bankruptcy is pending). I have found a Manufactured home and the owner is willing to do Owner Financing with a good down payment. I would like to take money from my IRA to make a down payment before the discharge. Should I do this or can I get in trouble or lose this money etc. Help! I need a place to move to soon.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Special Note:
If you experience technical problems, please [email protected]

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to provide you with information today.

I am a licensed Florida attorney but I am not your attorney. The law does not allow me to provide legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship on this public forum.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Assets, debts and exemptions for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy are determined as of the date the bankruptcy petition is filed. Therefore withdrawal from an IRA, after filing the bankruptcy petition, would not typically result in a risk to the withdrawn IRA funds

Please let me know if you have any further questions

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question or whether you would like further information

Please let me know if the rating box is missing or you are unable to rate for any reason
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I use the Money to put a down payment on a home in NC - can the new home be in any in jeopardy?
Provided you disclosed the IRA funds on your bankruptcy petition and use the funds from your IRA to make the purchase, the new home would not be at risk as a result of the bankruptcy