How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Terry L. Your Own Question

Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2717
Experience:  Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To whom it may concern: My wife and I are separated, and

Resolved Question:

To whom it may concern:
My wife and I are separated, and have been separated for almost a year. When we separated, she took our then 6-year-old daughter with her to PA. Our verbal agreement at the time was that she would move to PA to live with her father and stepmother, and I would stay back in MA to work on fixing up the house to try to sell it on a short sale. However some circumstances got in the way, and I (we) didn't end up putting the house up for sale. I took a job in insurance sales which did not work out, and then thought about trying to do a short sale on the house again, but that never worked out. We both decided to file for bankruptcy, although separately. She is filing in PA, and I am filing in MA. I have not submitted the paperwork yet, and neither has she. I will be filing the paperwork, however within the business next day or two. I contend that she should be responsible for paying bills relating to the house, since her name is XXXXX XXXXX the mortgage. He name is XXXXX XXXXX mortgage, as well as the electrical bill. Although she moved out of state, we never made any sort of written separation agreement, nor did any legal work to say that we were officially separating, or requested that we be legally separated. Her contention is that since she was not living in the house during our separation, that she is not responsible for any bills associated with the house while living in PA. I contend that since her name is XXXXX XXXXX the mortgage and the electric bill, she is responsible for those bills, as well as heating oil to heat the house, and the two mortgage payments I made while she was not living here. Please advise what she is legally responsible for.
Peter Hendrickson
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I am typing out my answer. Please remember that this is general information only, not legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed.

I am sorry for your situation. Can you please tell me if the home was purchased before or after marriage? Whose name(s) is/are on the deed - just one person's or both of you?

This not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The home was purchased after we were married, and both of our names are XXXXX XXXXX deed.
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply, Peter. I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts.

Your JA Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS unless you actively disable these features.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.

My apologies for any inconvenience and Good Luck.
Expert:  Terry L. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

This is more of a divorce matter than a bankruptcy matter.
As for the bankruptcy, a debtor can list any liability on a debt, and discharge it though the bankruptcy case. She can surrender the home and let the bank foreclose. Mortgage debts, utilities etc are all dischargeable in the bankruptcy case, including any verbal contract with you for her to pay 1/2 of the expenses.

You can surrender them too, and they will discharge for you as well.

Absent that, if you want her to pay, you'll have to negotiate that in the divorce settlement agreement, otherwise the bankruptcy would discharge those obligations.

It may be best to just surrender the home, forget about trying to short sell in this market. let the bank foreclose, and any deficiency is the bank's problem after you each file the bankruptcy case.

Let me know if you have any questions. thanks in advance.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2717
Experience: Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
< Last | Next >
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.
  • A.J.'s Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
  • Fritz's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Florida attorney with extensive experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer bankruptcy cases
  • Law Girl's Avatar

    Law Girl


    Satisfied Customers:

    I am an attorney.