Fritz
Fritz, Attorney
Experience:  Florida attorney with extensive experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer bankruptcy cases
66229536

This is a UK Chancery issue I have just been sent by email

Customer Question

This is a UK Chancery issue

I have just been sent by email a notice that there is a hearing that I should attend on Monday in London at 10:30am. Is this allowable?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Fritz replied 4 years ago.

Fritz :

I believe you should have been given "at least three clear days' notice" prior to hearing. However, even if the notice was, in fact, insufficient, the hearing can and normally will still take place ("without notice") whether or not you attend. The Judge will make such order as is appropriate in the circumstances.

Fritz :

As a practical matter, you should attend the hearing if possible. If you cannot attend, it would be highly advisable to at least file a skeleton argument at least 24 hours before the hearing. Pages 13-14 of the above link explain how to file a skeleton argument.

JACUSTOMER-mx8hml0n- :

the hearing is to over turn a high court judges decision I am also not living in the UK

so service by email is permitted

Fritz :

Is the hearing being held at the Central London Civil Justice Centre or somewhere else?

Fritz :

Since you need to respond quickly, it would be a good idea to call the courthouse tomorrow morning and find out if it's possible to reschedule the hearing for a date you could attend. If you can't reschedule, you might want to ask how your response should be filed so that it will reach the Judge in time.

Fritz :

If you don't get a clear answer, submitting your response by both fax (numbers are on page 7 and page 14) and email (listed on page 14). It's better to slightly annoy a clerk who may end up receiving three copies of your response than for the Judge not to get your papers by Monday morning. Good luck!

Fritz :

If you don't get a clear answer, submitting your response by both fax (numbers are on page 7 and page 14) and email (listed on page 14) would probably be advisable.