TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

When a previously discharged chapter 7 has been reopened to

When a previously discharged chapter 7 has been reopened to "administer assets" and the assets are in the form of a cashiers check, how long should it take to close the case after the deadline for claims has passed?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

The case will ordinarily be closed almost immediately after the check has been administered (i.e., cashed, distributed). The trustee would ordinarily file a motion closing the estate within days of that occurring.

If you would like any additional information or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask!

Also, I strive to be as helpful as possible so that you are satisfied. Accordingly, please remember to give me positive feedback (doing so does not end our discussion). If you feel the need to rate me poorly, please stop and instead of rating me, reply via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue that you have. I will be happy to continue our discussion and do everything that I can to provide you with the service that you seek.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for you answer. I would like to ask for follow up information please.

We filed chapter 7 pro se with the assistance of an online doc prep firm that was discharged in 4/08. We did not list an investment into gold option contracts that was made during 2005, because I thought that it was just a bad investment that did not come to fruition. In 12/08 we received a check for $14K from the CFTC as partial restitution due to the broker "embezzling" the funds. I was not aware of a case.

On the advice of a local attorney and a US Marshall, we turned the funds over to a new trustee in 3/11. I chatted online with the court clerk after the deadline to file claims on 10/11 and I was told that there were four claims, 3 credit cards, 1 of which turned into a judgement after our filing date and 1 small medical bill. The case is still open and I have not heard anything from the trustee since I sent her the check.

Is there anything I can do personally to expidite the closure of our case?