cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

are children to be listed on Schedule H as Co debtors if their

are children to be listed on Schedule H as Co debtors if their name was added to my credit card so they had a credit card to use to get gas, food, etc? They were under 18 at the time, and the credit card was in my name, yet a card was later issued to them with their name on my account. I noticed that one of the accounts showed up on one of the credit bureaus for my child who is now over 18, however she never signed anything with this cc company. I had only asked for another card for my child.
1. Do I list her as a codebtor on Schedule H?
2. Does that remove her from any liability?
3. How does she get it off her credit?
Thank-you (by the way, it is a Chapter 7)
Hi JACustomer,
Were your children added as authorized users only?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, but it is on one of their credit report bureaus but not the others, so I didn't know if they would be able to go after my children for that debt in the future

Since this debt is not the responsibility of your children, it does not belong on Schedule H, as your children are not co-debtors for this debt.

Additionally, this creditor cannot try to collect the debt from your children, even though the debt is listed on one credit report - where there should be a notation of "authorized user".

Two of the credit bureaus will remove the debt if your children call the credit bureau to point out the fact that he or she is only an authorized user, and this debt should therefore not be on their credit report. One of the credit bureaus (I believe it is Transunion) will only remove the debt if the creditor removes them as an authorized user. For this credit bureau, then, you would have to call the creditor and ask them to remove your children as authorized users - and then the debt will be removed from their credit report.