cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

How is credit card debt treated in chapter 13 bankruptcy? Just

How is credit card debt treated in chapter 13 bankruptcy? Just trying to figure out all of my options. I do not have much assets but I have a car which is worth possibly $2k at the most, my clothing, very little jewelry worth approx $200, furniture worth maybe $600 and a piece of property with no home on it worth approx $13k which I had planned on QC part to my boyfriend for money I owe him & also part to my son. I wish to keep these assets which is why I was considering chapter 13 but how does it work? I do not have a whole lot of income.. I have approx $100 left in the bank each month after I am done with bills if I stay on very tight budget as my ex does not pay me all of the alimony he is supposed to pay. I owe more in card debt that what my assets are. My ex ran up the cards but I am stuck with the debt. From what I read on a website the court would use the value of the land I own & not the other items to figure out what I would have to pay? Is this correct? I am very confused.. Can credit card debt be wiped out completely with ch 13?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
1) What is your total gross monthly household income?
2) How many are in your household?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, there is myself & my child in my household. I am the only one working, however. Over the last 6 months I averaged $950 per month before deductions and approx $850 after. My ex is supposed to pay me $1200 alimony every month however he does NOT. He has taken it upon himself to pay only part of what he owes me every month which I will have to take him back to court to get the money he has not paid. Anyway he has been paying me between $600 to $800 a month. More recently $800 per month.

Given the information you provided, you can file a Chapter 7 instead of a Chapter 13. A Chapter 7 will be less costly than a Chapter 13.

All of the possessions you mentioned are "exempt" (protected) from the Bankruptcy court, except for the property, for which you can apply a $4,000 exemption. This means the Bankruptcy trustee would be able to sell your property, give you $4,000, and pay the rest to your creditors.

Or you can file a Chapter 13, which will involve paying all your disposable income (gross income minus allowable expenses) to the Bankruptcy court for up to 5 years. If you have $100 left over every month, that would be the amount you would have to pay - in addition to approximately $3,000 to a Bankruptcy attorney.

If you want to keep your property, you would have to file a Chapter 13. Whether you file a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13, all credit card debt gets discharged at the end.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I were to add my boyfriend on the property how long would I have to wait to file chapter 7 in order for us both to be able to keep the property?
You would then to wait 90 days after adding your boyfriend's name to the property deed to file a Bankruptcy.