Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer Now.
1) Business debts cannot be discharged in a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.
2) Title insurance protects the person whose name is XXXXX XXXXX title - not any bank that lends money that is secured by the property that is insured.
3) Yes - the fact that the property is owned as tenants by the entirety would prevent the bank from taking the property (which is why the lender tried to also get your wife's signature on the loan).
Since I signed the personal guaranty for the line of credit business loan, but filed a personal Chapter 7. Is it fair to say that the amount owed to the bank was discharged under my personal chapter 7? Also, would the bank have a valid claim against the Title Company for not picking up the clerical/human error of recording the wrong condo unit number on the property lien and county records?
1) Yes - your personal obligation to pay this business loan was discharged in your personal Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.
2) No - the bank does not have a valid claim against the title insurance company. Only the persons whose names are XXXXX XXXXX title (your and your wife) can file a claim against a title insurance company.
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).