cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
63110502

I filed for chapter 13 in 2010 on very bad advice and under

I filed for chapter 13 in 2010 on very bad advice and under duress. I never followed through with it and the law firm cancelled it and sent me a letter. My husband through out all personal papers and killed himself, now this is showing up on my credit score even thoughI did not follow through. The law firm is going to send me a letter stating I quit will this help get it off my credit report? Thank you
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 2 years ago.

cortrightlaw : First I am sorry to hear about your situation but unfortunately you are most likely not going to be able to get the credit reporting companies to remove it fro
cortrightlaw : From your credit report.
cortrightlaw : They are going to say that you did file the bankruptcy and that it is accurately being reported.
Customer:

Question.....I did not fill out all the papers for the bankrutsy. (SP).....They just let it go, it never went to court or left their office and sent me a letter stating that it was a closed case and it shows on credit score and in FEB. I want to purchase a house and will have the document stating I never went through with it. I dont even understand how it shows up as I told them to discontinue and they told me it was not in my best interest.

cortrightlaw :

The only way it could be showing up is if they filed it, and in order to file it you would have had to sign the petition?

Customer:

I signed the petition upon the first day, however as it progressed the attorney said it was not a good idea and I agreed so we stopped the entire process. Once I get the letter from them and present it to the credit folks will they remove it because it is a legal document releasing from the act of chapter 13

Customer:

hello, are you still with me?

cortrightlaw :

I do not think they will, if you filed the chapter 13 which it sounds like you did I do not see how a letter from your attorneys office will help remove it. If you filed and got a case number XXXXX you filed chapter 13 bankruptcy and the reporting is accurate.

Customer:

wow......Can I show proof of good credit as I'm fixing it quite well at this stage...Will this affect me when I try to buy my home in Feb. 2013? I could show the letter of dismissal will that help? How long will this stay/show on my credit score? Very frustrating I must say.

cortrightlaw :

The problem is a letter of dismissal on a chapter 13 isn't necessarily a good thing, people get their 13's dismissed because they can not maintain the payment plan. As to what the effect will be you really need to talk to a lender and explain your situation, then maybe the creditor will put some weight onto your explanation and the letter that you are getting from your attorney.

Customer:

Thank-you....I will have my ducks lined up. I am not the only one who did this so I hope it works out as I have credit cards with due diligence payments and my credit score is on the rise...I will be very able to explain what happened. Thank you for the in put..

cortrightlaw :

good luck on rebuilding your credit and you are right you are not alone so the lenders will eventually need to be a little forgiving.

Customer:

I agree...Thank you...Have a good day

cortrightlaw :

Please rate my response or accept it so I can receive credit.

Customer:

How do you rate?

cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience: Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.