TMcJD, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Attorney

My mortgage co., GMAC, has filed for Chapter 11. I received

My mortgage co., GMAC, has filed for Chapter 11. I received in the mail a paper with terms which stated "Confirmation of a Chapter 11 plan may result in a discharge of debts, which may include all or part of your debt. See Bankruptcy Code 1141(d). Is there a chance I can file for a discharge of my debts through my GMAC accounts?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TMcJD replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I will be happy to assist you with your question. I am a real attorney and strive to provide the most professional service possible. However, I cannot provide legal advice – I can only give you information concerning the legal issues raised by your question. After reviewing your answer, please let me know if you need clarification (or if I misunderstood and didn’t address your question).

Unfortunately you cannot discharge your debts.

Bankruptcy allows the debtor that has filed bankruptcy to discharge debts. In this case, GMAC will generally receive a discharge of its debts owed prior to confirmation of the plan unless the plan or order confirming the plan specifies that a certain debt is not discharged. That is what 1141(d) states.

That discharge, however, does not apply to debts that you owe GMAC -- only debts that GMAC owes to others.

As noted above, if you need clarification, please do let me know.

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!

Please don’t leave negative feedback. If something isn’t working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it!

If you later open a new question and would like my assistance, please begin the question with “To TMcJD….” This will ensure that only I answer the question.