WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

My wife accumulated 40 thousand worth of debt while living

Customer Question

My wife accumulated 40 thousand worth of debt while living on her own- she now lives with me as a reuslt and filed for bankruptcy. She went to trustee meeting today and did not get her debt discharged because she now lives with me. She was told to amend her petition and include my financial info. I dont want to get mixed up in her mess... can I refuse to include my financial info in her petition? What are my options?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 1 year ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

WALLSTREETESQ :

Do you contribute to any of her household expenses?

Would you agree to sign a statement stating you do not support her or that you are seperated?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Under the bankruptcy law a spouses income has to be included ina bankruptcy petition, it will have no bearing on your credit or status, it is for informational purposes, and your name and social security number would not be needed.

7:57 PM

7:58 PM

WALLSTREETESQ41064.9999590625
Customer:
Customer:

I pay for a cell phone family plan, other than that she pays for her own rent . We split utilities and food.

Customer:

yes i would sign a statement. I dont want to get mixed up in her mess

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

If she can convince the trustee that you in no way support her financially, or contribute to the household, it is possible, that the trustee would allow your income to be not included.

8:07 PM

Did she list her marital status as married or seperated?

8:10 PM

If you are living as a married couple, she would be required to atleast list your income, and what you contribute in the monthly expenses, in no way will you be affected by the information, but she may be denied a discharge without it.

8:11 PM

For example, if she is unemployed, and lives with you in the house, she cannot list 0 as income, the Court requires her to list your income, as part of the household income that helps her pay her expenses.

7:56 PM

7:58 PM

7:59 PM

WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience: 14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

If you do not want her to add your information, then you should consider providing her a letter signed by you, stating that you do not contribute to the household expenses, and she and you are separated financially in every way.

That may allow the trustee to allow her to get a discharge.