cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
63110502

Im currently in a chapter 13 bankruptcy . Virginia filed Dec.

Im currently in a chapter 13 bankruptcy . Virginia
filed Dec. 07 , I have 16 months left , Can I pay this off early or do I have to ride it out , My first attempt to pay it off was two years ago but after consulting my lawyer I found myself back in court with an extra 20,000. tacked on which made my payment over a thousand a month .
my case wasnt confirmed till 10 months after I filed which put me in 13 for 5 years 10 months .

cortrightlaw : You can only pay it off early if you are in a 100 percent plan, otherwise the trustee will see you have the ability to pay a higher percentage to your unsecured creditors.
Customer:

it does state 100 percent plan

Customer:

how could i find out without risking a higher percentage

cortrightlaw : A 100% plan is one in which you are paying back all of your creditors that have filed claims, if this is the case then you can pay it off early. You can check a couple of places, one your court order confirming the plan should state the percentage, or a lot of the trustees have online access which will have information regarding your plan including the percentage, who filed claims, who has been paid and how much, or you can always call the trustee and ask if you are a 100 percent plan.
Customer: