LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

Rose is about to file bankruptcy when she learns that she has

Rose is about to file bankruptcy when she learns that she has the winning state lottery ticket for $6.4 million. At the time, her assets were $250,000 and her obligations were $1.6 million. She gives her sister, Mary, the ticket and asks her to claim the prize money. After Rose filed bankruptcy, Mary has been giving her "gifts".

Can anyone provide the law regarding the transfer of lottery tickets knowing that he/she is is about to file bankruptcy?

In this situation, does Mary own the lottery ticket? Please supply the law regarding this.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®:

I am a licensed attorney and will do my best to provide you an honest and accurate answer to your important legal question.
My goal is to make your experience here highly satisfactory. Toward that end, please keep a few details in mind during our interaction:

1. I am a lousy mind reader. If you do not supply information to me, I do not know it. Please, give me the needed details to work with so I can provide you with the best possible service. Also, if you use the RELIST or BLOCK features, our discussion ends and I may no longer be able to assist. Please, just write back to me, directly, and talk to me.

2. Also, while I make every effort to work in a timely fashion, answering legal questions is not an instantaneous process. I am required to conduct research, interact with multiple customers simultaneously and sometimes take a break. Also, there may be times when I have to sign off for the night or to attend to other obligations. Rest assured, however, I will get back to you.

3. If you have a new legal question, the terms of this site ask that you post it in a separate thread. In other words, please be fair and reasonable. You can direct any future questions to my attention. Just go to my Profile Page, type in the text box "ask Your Question", click the hyperlink that says "15 minutes", and use the drop down menu to select 12 hours.

4. Please remember that many times even attorneys disagree with the law. But, we cannot change it. The answer I give you is based on my years of legal education and professional practice. It may well not be what you were hoping to hear. I will be upfront and direct. I will not mislead you, misstate the law to suit your hopes, or agree just to meet your expectations.

5. If you answer an Information Request and I start working on formulating your answer, it does take some time to draft a quality response. In the meantime, you may receive a message indicating that I am "offline" or "unavailable". This is not the case. These messages are generated automatically without my knowledge or input.

6. Lastly, please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated. Information provided is informational and not legal advice. I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship exists between us. Consult legal counsel in your jurisdiction.

QUESTION: "Can anyone provide the law regarding the transfer of lottery tickets knowing that he/she is is about to file bankruptcy?"

ANSWER: Sure, gladly. Rose is on some rather shaky ground. Here is how this works. There is a sneaky little animal called the "180 Days Rule". It means that in case of a sudden windfall, such as lottery winnings, Rose could lose her earnings even up to six months after the date of her bankruptcy discharge. So, that is one important issue in this scenario. Another is that failing to be completely honest could subject Rose to the Trustee moving for revocation ("undoing") of her bankruptcy discharge. In fact, depending upon just how far things go, Rose could be facing the prospect of a criminal prosecution alleging bankruptcy fraud. Keep in mind that while bankruptcy is primarily a matter of federal law, there is also some overlap or interplay of state law such as in that exemptions differ in amount of type by state jurisdiction and so forth. This law can be found at 11 U.S.C. § 523.

QUESTION: "In this situation, does Mary own the lottery ticket?"

ANSWER: At first blush, it would indeed appear that Mary is the lawful owner of the ticket. However, upon further analysis, depending upon her knowledge of the "real" circumstances she is risking being charged as an accessory. In other words, the "true" owner of the lottery proceeds may very well end up being Rose's creditors and the federal government. This law is found at 18 U.S.C. §§ 2 and 3.

I truly hope all works out for you. After you rate my answer (look for smiley faces and/or stars plus possibly a green "Submit" button), our conversation need not end. I would be happy to continue our dialog, without further charge, until you are fully satisfied. I promise to check back periodically for any updated posts from you each time I return to this online venue.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: LawInfoNow. Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

Register Here

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.