cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
63110502

I have been unemployed for three years and cannot find a job.

I have been unemployed for three years and cannot find a job. I have major debt in credit cards and medical bills that have already gone to collection. A couple have been assigned to attorneys. Will bankruptcy protect me from the debts that have already gone to attorneys?

cortrightlaw : Yes filing chapter 7 bankruptcy will stop all collection efforts including those that have been sent to attorneys, had lawsuits filed, or even gone to judgment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
does my situation seem like one that bankruptcy would be the best option? I have no ability to pay a payment plan and also don't have much money for a bankruptcy lawyer. How much can I expect to pay to have this chapter 7 filed?
Yes your situation is exactly what bankruptcy is for. To hire an attorney depending on where you live could cost between $1000 - $2000. Or you can do it yourself Noloprss has a great chapter 7 bankruptcy book to guide you through the process, then myself an other bankruptcy attorneys are available on this website if you get stuck and have questions.