Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I filed a chapter 13 bankruptcy and included back pay of mortgage

I filed a chapter 13 bankruptcy and included back pay of mortgage in the plan. Mortgage company left note on my door to contact them. I tried to speak with them on the phone but was told they couldn't talk to me and I had to contact the bankruptcy department the next day. For what reason are they calling me?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

The mortgage company should not be contacting you at all.

The automatic stay of the bankruptcy court prohibits any action against the debtor outside of the bankruptcy court. Once a bankruptcy has been filed all collection action must cease.

Once a bankruptcy is filed, the automatic stay of the bankruptcy court is in effect Bankruptcy Code regarding the automatic stay. 362 (4)k provides for actual and punitive damages for the willful disregard of the automatic stay.

Have I answered your question?