AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

I live in IL. My husband is on SSI Disability. While we were

I live in IL. My husband is on SSI Disability. While we were getting him permanently disabled through SSI a credit card company sued us. Is he still liable for this debt. We own a older mobile home and a motorcycle. Other than that we don't have anything else. He draws a small pension from the military along with a disability and the ssi disability.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
Yes. An individual is not automatically rendered bankrupt because he becomes eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance benefits and, as such, he is still liable for all of his debts. Even if your husband was found eligible for SSDI, that would not automatically absolve him of his obligation to pay the debt. If the lawsuit is pending, he will want to retain an attorney to help him respond to it. If a judgment has been entered, his attorney will evaluate whether or not there's a basis to have the judgment vacated so that he can respond. His attorney will also assist with negotiating with the bank to resolve the debt. If he cannot resolve the debt and cannot negotiate a favorable settlement, he may wish to evaluate bankruptcy as an option.