How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask BKAnswerMan Your Own Question

BKAnswerMan, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 25
Experience:  Experienced Bankruptcy Attorney that has represented over 1,000 clients in consumer bankruptcy proceedings.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
BKAnswerMan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just got a copy of my credit report and found that First

Resolved Question:

I just got a copy of my credit report and found that First Resolution Investment Corp. has a judgement against me for $1091 in May 2007. I found the closed court case on the county court website. They also tried to garnish wages in 2009. The credit report also showed a "hard" inquiry on March 12, 2012. I have no idea how many times over the past 6 years they have done this or why? My original intent was to write a settlement offer to try to get it marked as paid on my credit report, but after reading information online about rip-offs, their businees practice, and that they are not credited with the Better Business Bureau, I am wondering how to handle it. I know this is for a very old credit card, though nowhere does it state who the original debt was with. I guess this company buys charged-off account & then tries to collect on them?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  BKAnswerMan replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is very common for creditors to sale debt to factoring companies for pennies on the dollar. Usually, these companies will settle out the debt. If they have a judgment against you, then they have the right to garnish your wages or levy your accounts.

It sounds like they obtained a default judgment against you. The complaint that they served on the original complaint that resulted in judgment should have information about who the original creditor was.

At this point, the judgment is accruing default interest. The judgment remains active for collection for at least five years from when it was entered, but can likely be renewed. The length of time that a judgment can be enforced varies from state to state, but most states allow the judgment to be renewed after the initial time period expires.

My suggestion is to look into settle out the debt. The amount of the debt is relatively low and if they bought the debt for a very low amount, then you may be able to settle it out for a reasonable amount. Your question was posted to the bankruptcy law list, so you may benefit from knowing that if you are intending to file a bankruptcy, the judgment and debt can be wiped out through the bankruptcy.

If you were not served with the lawsuit, then you may be able to reopen the case, but proving that you did not receive service of process can be difficult, and for the amount of debt that you are talking about it would probably be cheaper and quicker to settle it out. You may be able to negotiate with them to change how they are reporting the debt on your credit report.

I believe that I have answered your question. If you need further clarification, then please let me know.
Expert:  BKAnswerMan replied 2 years ago.
It looks like in Ohio, a party may renew the judgment within ten years. So they will likely have ten years to renew the judgment. See the statute below:

ORC 2325.18 Limitation.
(A) An action to revive a judgment can only be brought within ten years from the time it became dormant, unless the party entitled to bring that action, at the time the judgment became dormant, was within the age of minority, of unsound mind, or imprisoned, in which cases the action may be brought within ten years after the disability is removed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you assist me in wording a settlement letter? I am of low-income, live in a mobile home (no property), & have children.
Expert:  BKAnswerMan replied 2 years ago.
Here is a some sample language that you can use which I modified from a letter that I found online. My suggestion is to call them first, as they may have an standard release agreement that they will want to use, and you can plead your situation with them better over the phone.

You definitely will want to get something in writing though if they do agree to settle the debt before you pay.

Your Name
Your Address
Your Phone #

Creditor's Name
Creditor's Address

Date Dear Sir or Madam,
Re: Account Number / Case information
I am writing to resolve my debt with your company. [describe your situation here, low income, no property, have children etc....]. I would appreciate any efforts your company is willing to take in order to help me resolve this judgment.

The amount I am proposing to pay towards full settlement of my debt is $xx. . Upon acceptance of this offer, you agree to release me from any liability on this judgment, report that the judgment has been satisfied, and remove any derogatory marks on my credit report.

If you find the above terms and conditions acceptable, please sign the attached letter of agreement and send me a copy. Upon receipt of this agreement, I shall forward you the agreed amount through money order.


Your Signature
Your Name
BKAnswerMan, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 25
Experience: Experienced Bankruptcy Attorney that has represented over 1,000 clients in consumer bankruptcy proceedings.
BKAnswerMan and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • FiveStarLaw


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
< Last | Next >
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • Phillips Esq.'s Avatar

    Phillips Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • dylatess's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    35 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions