cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

A debtor has mostly business debts. The debtor owes $1,200

A debtor has mostly business debts. The debtor owes $1,200 to his brother. One month before filing bankruptcy, the debtor makes a $1200.00 payment to his brother to pay off the debt owed to him. I understand this is not a recoverable preference payment because it is below the threshold for a non-consumer debt bankruptcy. However, must this payment be reported on #10a of the Statement of Financial Affairs, and is it recoverable as a fraudulent transfer?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Was this payment made in the ordinary course of business for the debtor, or was the payment made in anticipation of filing a Bankruptcy? In other words, would the payment have been made even if the debtor was not going to file a Bankruptcy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was paid in the ordinary course of business.

1) Then that loan repayment would not be entered anywhere on the Statement of Financial Affairs.

2) Such a repayment could not be deemed a "fraudulent transfer", which is the transfer of property without adequate compensation. Repaying a loan is not a transfer of property without adequate compensation.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you.