cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
63110502

Under Nevada chapter 7 bankruptcy law, if I obtain a new job

Under Nevada chapter 7 bankruptcy law, if I obtain a new job after the Section 341 meeting (which was 3/30/2012), am I required to let the Court or the Bankruptcy Trustee know? WIll my chapter 7 have to be changed to a 13? The difference may be significant; from appx. $25K a year to $45K. Does it matter when the job offer is accepted or the date that I start employment?

cortrightlaw : Give me a minute to review your question and respond
cortrightlaw :

You do not need to report the new income as long as you are in a chapter 7, the chapter 7 bankruptcy process looks at the income the 6 months prior to the filing of the bankruptcy. If you think about it if they were to do otherwise the number could change weekly and their needs to be a point, the filing date were the numbers are fixed for the analysis. Also that income is yet to be earned and it seems low enough depending on your income and the size of your family that you might still qualify for bankruptcy even if you filed later with the higher income.

Customer:

So the jump from $25K to $45K isn't significant enough to worry about?

Customer:

No other family members; just me.

cortrightlaw :

what is your income?

Customer:

It was mentioned in the question...was appx. 25K when filed, new job offer is 45K.

cortrightlaw :

so there is just one income? or is the 45 your combined income?

Customer:

Just me. One income. Single not married.

cortrightlaw :

Got it, no need to report it since it is post filing, and second you would still be under the income limit.

Customer:

Great! Thanks!

cortrightlaw :

Good luck with the new job, that is exactly what bankruptcy is meant for, to get a fresh start, that would be some good relief to have eliminated your debt, and getting a nice new job and raise.

Customer:

Excellent. Thanks & have a great evening. ;-)

You to.